Entertainment: Ten reasons not to hate Tom Cruise
1. He is not running for governor of California. Considering that 135 people filed for the recall election and at least a quarter of them are public figures or public officials, we should appreciate Cruise's being humble enough to stay out of the race.
2. Neither of his ex-wives is running for governor of California. A bonus.
3. 'Cruise' is his real name. Yes, it is his middle name. However, at least he acted reasonably in choosing a stage name. Arnold Schwarzenegger lacks such good judgment.
4. He is not a philanderer. He has been involved in serial monogamy from his early adult years -- engaged in a series of relationships with one woman at a time.
5. He is an excellent actor who stars in good movies more often than not. Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with the Vampire, Jerry Maguire, and Rain Man, alone, prove his acting ability. Each required creating a different kind of character and he excelled each time.
6. He works well with other fine actors. Few players in his age group have co-starred with older actors or peers and benefitted from the pairing. Cruise has. He shares the spotlight instead of trying to steal it.
7. He doesn't try to sing. Most actors who do, can't.
8. He is the adoptive father of two mixed-race children born in America. Most white Americans are unwillinging to adopt children who have African or Indian ancestry, despite their claims of not having an iota of racial prejudice. Cruise should be commended for doing the right thing.
9. He makes charitable contributions to honorable organizations. Not U.S. English, the World Church of the Creator or the Republican Party. And, he does it without seeking attention.
10. He does not proselytize for Scientology. If a person is going to belong to a silly religion like Scientology, it is wise of him to not try to shove it down other people's throats.
Note: There is an immortal entry called "Ten Things I Hate About Tom Cruise" that has appeared on various weblogs for nearly a year, always eliciting numerous responses if the blog has a comments section. This is a response to it.